Why Hiring a Wrongful Death Lawyer in Milledgeville, GA Is Better Than Pro Se Representation

When a loved one is killed by another person’s negligence or recklessness, this is traumatic for the family and close friends. Eventually, the spouse or other immediate family members may feel ready to ask for financial compensation for wrongful death. They may wonder if it’s ever reasonable to proceed without a wrongful death lawyer in Milledgeville, GA.

The family may want to file a claim to an insurance company or they may want to file a lawsuit against a business. Filing a lawsuit without professional legal representation is known as pro se litigation. Prose se is Latin for “one’s own behalf”.

Is Pro Se Representation Allowed Here?

First, people must learn whether filing a lawsuit pro se is allowed in their jurisdiction, as some jurisdictions prohibit the practice. Milledgeville is in the Middle District of Georgia, which does allow pro se litigation.

Would This Be Effective in Court?

Next, they must decide whether they would truly be able to argue their case effectively in court. Without a wrongful death lawyer in Milledgeville, GA negotiating for a fair settlement, it is more likely that a business or insurance company will defend their side in court. Individuals representing these businesses know that self-representation in court tends to be inadequate. They are generally more likely to settle with a lawyer than with an individual.

Even though having an attorney from an organization like Edwards & Bullard Law Services is not required in this district, professional legal representation can help a great deal in obtaining a reasonable and fair settlement. Once the civil case is lost, it can only be appealed in front of a higher court. A successful appeal can be very difficult to accomplish, especially for someone without extensive legal experience.

A Free Consultation

At the very least, the person or persons considering filing suit should schedule a free consultation with a lawyer who handles these types of cases. In Georgia, if the deceased individual was married, the spouse is the one to bring legal action. If there was no spouse, the surviving parents are allowed to file suit. Otherwise, the designated representative of the estate can do so. To schedule a consultation, visit Eblawga.com.

Connect with us on Facebook and see our latest updates!

Be the first to like.

Be Sociable, Share!